HowTheLightGetsIn is the world’s largest and most exciting philosophy and music festival – and we need YOU to make it happen!
Volunteering at HowTheLightGetsIn is an amazing way to get involved with the process of turning our vision into a reality, as well as an opportunity for you to enjoy the festival itself with minimal costs.
Why should you get involved?
1. ACCESS. In return for their short daily shifts (typically between 5-6 hours), festival volunteers get a staff wristband giving them access to a whole range of debates, live music, film & comedy - not to mention insane discounts on the festival eateries and some of the visiting stall holders!
2. SKILLS & EXPERIENCE. Volunteering looks great on your CV and all of our volunteers can request a reference at the end of the festival for future employment. You'll get to network with festival organisers and gain an insight into the behind-the-scenes running of a large-scale event.
3. FUN. The team is always diverse, welcoming and up for having a lot of laughs, as well as working well together to keep the festival ticking. A lot of our volunteers come back year after year to have reunions and see the same friendly faces they got to know their first year volunteering.
HowTheLightGets London 2019 is set in the majestic stately grounds of Kenwood House on the tip of Hampstead Heath.
Hampstead Lane, Highgate, London NW3 7JR
What roles are available?
Being a steward is the best way to see as much of HowTheLightGetsIn as possible whilst being instrumental in the smooth-running of the festival. A steward’s role is by far the most varied, covering a range of responsibilities from managing queues and crowds to working the box office or turning over venues between events. You’ll gain a thorough understanding of the inner workings of a festival, whilst being immersed in all the wonderful events HowTheLightGetsIn has to offer.
What skills would I need?
Our stewards need to be reliable, responsible, and friendly. We’re looking for applicants who are confident engaging with lots of people, and are on-the-ball and alert. Experience stewarding at other events is preferable but not necessary.
"I want to express my sincere gratitude for the stewarding experience you have offered us: it has been nothing short of transformational! Although it was the first time I volunteered for a festival, I am already stewarding with another one this weekend!" - Madalina Benderschi, Chișinău, Moldova
"Thanks so much for the opportunity to work with you guys at the festival. It was so much fun - would love to be involved again next year!" - Katie Poundall, London, UK
"I was honoured to serve for this wonderful event as a steward. I booked months ago, flew from China for 11 hours (!) and found that it was so, so worth it!!" - Luyao Zhang, Hong Kong, China
How to Sign Up
Every Festival Volunteer pays an honesty bond of £50 to secure their place, which is refundable after the successful completion of all shifts.
1. Select the option(s) for volunteering that most appeals to you and let us know your skill set.
2. Agree that if successful in your application, you will pay the £50 honesty bond (refundable) to confirm your place.
3. The HTLGI team will be in touch to confirm your volunteering role