Monday 23rd September.
Thanks to everyone who came along.
Please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org should you need any images, quotes, transcripts, interviews to assist with your post festival coverage.
Click here to download a small selection of images but do contact us if you would like images from any specific events or of speakers.
Hilary Lawson, the philosopher who founded the festival will be available for a small number of post-festival interviews. Please speak to Will should you want to arrange one.
The Institute of Art and Ideas,
375 City Rd, London, EC1V 1NB
Tel: 020 7837 3000
HowTheLightGetsIn will return in 2020 and we'd love you to be part of it!
Our festival is a space to let creative ideas run free. We are welcoming festival submissions of all kinds from performance pieces and games-makers, to workshop leaders or walkabout.
Whether it’s weird and wonderful, beautiful or bold, if you’ve got something special you’d like to share, we’d love to hear about it.
All submissions will be considered by our site and programming team; however, due to the large volume of applications we cannot respond to everyone. You are more likely to succeed if you have considered how your idea fits in with what we are trying to achieve with HowTheLightGetsIn.
To submit a proposal please email email@example.com with some details and our team will get back to you.
Traders can find out more here.
Please be aware; you are responsible for your own install, workspace or performance area. This should be sturdy enough to withstand diverse weather conditions.
We cannot contribute to the costs of your project, and we do not allow the use of generators, sound-systems or amplified music.
Please provide as much information as possible in the subject line and body of your email, and a member of our team will get back to you within 1 working day.
General Enquiries firstname.lastname@example.org
Website Issues email@example.com
Ticket Enquiries firstname.lastname@example.org
When is the festival?
HowTheLightGetsIn London 2019 is running from Saturday 21st September to Sunday 22nd September. Festival tickets will provide access to all events, including debates, talks, music, comedy, academy and late night parties.
How do I apply my discount?
You can apply all discounts at checkout. Select your discount from the drop down menu and click 'apply'. Only one discount can be used per ticket. Please note that discounts are not applicable to Day Tickets.
Where is the festival?
HowTheLightGetsIn will take place on the grounds of North London's finest stately home, Kenwood House, at the tip of Hampstead Heath - NW3 7JR.
Is camping available at the festival?
Camping is not available at HowTheLightGetsIn London.
Are dogs allowed on site?
Dogs are not allowed on site except guide and service dogs.
I'm having problems buying my ticket
If you're having any issues purchasing your ticket, please email email@example.com with the subject line 'Ticket Issue'. Please state the issue as well as your phone number and a member of our team will get back to you as soon as possible.
I can no longer attend the festival, can I have a full refund?
Our policy, details of which you can find here, states that we cannot refund tickets.
This ticket is issued by TVF Limited on behalf of the Institute of Art and Ideas, henceforth the "organisers", and is subject to the terms and conditions indicated on this ticket or displayed at the "venue", Kenwood House. Purchasers should note that this ticket is sold by the organisation responsible for the event.
Purchase and possession of a ticket signifies agreement to the following conditions:
1. This ticket is issued subject to the rules and regulations of the organisation, operators and management of the venue.
2. Every person entering the event must have a valid ticket.
3. Ticket holders are required to carefully check their tickets in advance of their visit; mistakes may not be rectified on the day.
4. The organisers reserve the right to refuse entry of the ticket holder to the event site. Customers found to be causing damage to the site, the site infrastructure, causing harm to any other person on site or in breach of these conditions will be subject to prosecution.
5. The organisers reserve the right to search all persons and personal property and refuse admission to, or eject from, the site any person who refuses to be searched by a security official.
6. This ticket is not transferable. No money will be refunded or tickets exchanged after purchase unless the event is cancelled. In the event of cancellation, the promoter’s sole obligation and liability shall be to offer a ticket for an alternative performance by the relevant artist, if available, or a full refund of the face value of this ticket. No other claims will be entertained. You will be contacted directly about cancellations at the email address used for your booking. Any questions about your claim should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. No duplicate tickets or wristbands will be issued in the event of loss.
8. Admission to the site and performance is at the ticket holder’s own risk. Neither the promoter nor the site management shall be held liable for any injury or damage sustained within the site.
9. Ticket holders give their express consent to the use of their actual or simulated likeness in connection with the production, exhibition, advertising or exploitation of any film, video and/or audio recording of this event and/or any element thereof in any/all media throughout the world. This includes filming by the police or security which may be carried out for the security of customers.
10. The event promoter reserves the right to make any change whatsoever to the act programme owing to any unforeseen or unavoidable cause.
11. Neither the venue nor the organisation can accept responsibility for lost or stolen property.
12. The possession of this ticket shall constitute an acceptance by the holder of these conditions and imply an undertaking on the part of the holder to observe them. In the event of any breach of these conditions, the event promoter reserves the right to cancel this ticket and retain any monies paid theretofore.
13. Other than the provisions advertised or outlined by the box office at the time of sale, customers are required to address any special needs by contacting the box office in advance of their visit, as the event promoter may not be able to provide those needs without notice.
14. We do not store credit card details nor do we share customer details with any 3rd parties.
15. Children under 12 with an adult do not require a festival ticket.
16. Discounts can only be applied to full HowTheLightGetsIn Weekend Festival Tickets. Please note that discounts cannot be applied to Day Tickets.
17. Dogs are not allowed on site except guide and service dogs.
At HowTheLightGetsIn and our affiliated sites, we collect different types of information about our users for four main reasons:
To provide personalised services unique to individual users.
To help us to monitor and improve the user experience and the content we offer.
To sell sponsorship and advertising space on the site to selected partners. This helps us to keep the site free for people who visit it.
If we have permission from the user, or where otherwise allowed by law, to market our services and events to them.
How We Use Your Information
What information do we collect?
We collect information on you:
• when you use the website
• through cookies
• if you choose to reveal information in postings, and
• when you enter sales promotions and competitions.
• to process transactions
Certain services that we provide may involve us collecting extra information (IAI Friends memberships, for example), such as where you are, so the service can be provided as designed.
The minimum information we need to register you is your name, email address and a password. We will ask you more questions for different services such as HowTheLightGetsIn ticket sales. Unless we say otherwise, you have to answer all the registration questions.
We may also ask some other, voluntary questions during registration for certain services (for example, your profession) so we can gain a clearer understanding of who you are. This also allows us to personalise our services and offering for you.
After you have registered, and with your permission, we may send you emails we think may interest you. Newsletters may be personalised based on what you have expressed interest in or content that you have accessed on our sites. At any time you can decide not to receive these emails and will be able to ‘unsubscribe’.
Logging in using social networking credentials
If you log-in to our sites using a Facebook log-in, you are granting permission to Facebook to share your user details with us. This will include your name, email address, date of birth and location which will then be used to form an IAI TV account. You can also use your picture from Facebook as part of your profile. This will also allow us and Facebook to share your, networks, user ID and any other information you choose to share according to your Facebook account settings.
If you log-in to our sites using a Google log-in, you grant permission to Google to share your user details with us. This will include your name, email address, date of birth, sex and location which we will then use to form an IAI TV identity. If you remove the IAI TV from your Google settings, we will no longer have access to this information.
Use of Children’s Data
We do not knowingly collect or store any personal information about children under the age of 16 and we do not offer any of our products or services directly to children under the age of 13. Registration to the site requires confirmation that you are aged 13 or above, or have the consent of your parent or a person holding parental responsibility.
Updating Your Personal Information
We offer a ‘My details’ page (also known as Email Preferences page), where you can update your personal information at any time, and change your marketing preferences. You can get to this page from most pages on the site – click on the ‘My account’ link at the top of the screen when you are signed in.
We will not share your personal information with others for marketing purposes unless you have given us your permission. If we have your permission, we will share your information only with other organisations we have chosen carefully.
If you are an IAI Friend and attend an event organised by an event partner, data may be shared for event administration purposes.
We can access and release personal information to keep to relevant laws and government requests, to operate our systems properly and to protect both us and our users.
Any other organisations who access your information in the course of providing services on our behalf will be governed by strict contractual restrictions to make sure that they protect your information and keep to data-protection and privacy laws which apply. We may also independently audit these service providers to make sure that they meet our standards. We may use service providers to help us run these sites (or services available on the sites), some of whom may be based outside the EEA.
Some of our webpages use plug-ins from other organisations (such as the option to register through Facebook). These other organisations may use information about your visit to our websites on their pages. If you browse these pages while still also logged in to your account with us, information they collect may be connected to your account on their site. For more information on how these organisations use information, please read their privacy policies.
1 For statistical purposes to track how many users we have and how often they visit our websites. We collect information listing which of our pages are most frequently visited, and by which types of users and from which countries.
3 You can turn cookies off but if you do this, you may not be able to use all services on our websites and you might see more pop-ups and other advertising. This is because we won’t be able to limit what you see by using cookies. However, you will still be able to see our content and use our services.
You can turn cookies off but if you do this, you may not be able to use all services on our websites and you might see more pop-ups and other advertising. This is because we won’t be able to limit what you see by using cookies. However, you will still be able to see our content and use our services.
For more information about cookies and managing them, including how to turn them off, please visit our page on Cookies.
We use Google Analytics on our sites for anonymous reporting of site usage and for advertising on the site. If you would like to opt-out of Google Analytics monitoring your behaviour on our sites please use this link (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/)
How we protect your information
We adopt appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices, and security measures to protect against unauthorised access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of your personal information, username, password, transaction information and data stored on our Site.
Sharing your personal information
We may share generic aggregated demographic information not linked to any personal identification information regarding visitors and users with our business partners, trusted affiliates and advertisers for the purposes outlined above.
We may use third party service providers to help us operate our business and the Site or administer activities on our behalf, such as sending out newsletters or surveys. We may share your information with these third parties for those limited purposes we have permission from you as the user, or where otherwise allowed by law.
Third party websites
Users may find advertising or other content on our Site that link to the sites and services of our partners, suppliers, advertisers, sponsors, licensors and other third parties. We do not control the content or links that appear on these sites and are not responsible for the practices employed by websites linked to or from our Site. In addition, these sites or services, including their content and links, may be constantly changing. These sites and services may have their own privacy policies and customer service policies. Browsing and interaction on any other website, including websites which have a link to our Site, is subject to that website's own terms and policies.
Your acceptance of these terms
By using this Site, you signify your acceptance of this policy and terms of service. If you do not agree to this policy, please do not use our Site. Your continued use of the Site following the posting of changes to this policy will be deemed your acceptance of those changes.
Our sites contain links to other websites from which we may earn revenue, which all goes towards support the work of the Arts and Ideas Trust. Our articles are never influenced by advertisers or affiliates, nor are they written for the purpose of promoting a product, except if and when clearly branded as a ‘sponsored by’, ‘brought to you by’ or ‘supported by’ ‘Supported by’, ‘Paid content/paid for by’ or ‘sponsor content’/’from our sponsors’ to represent sponsored content and foundation-funded features respectively.
Legal information and How to Contact Us
Under the UK Data Protection Act 1998 we have to say who the ‘data controller’ is for iai.tv and services provided through our websites. The data controller is the organisation responsible for protecting information and, in our case, is Institute of Art and Ideas, 375-377 City Road, London, EC1V 1NB.
If you would like access to or a copy of the personal information we hold about you, to request a correction, or have any questions about how we may use it or to make a complaint, please contact the Data Protection Manager at the address shown above. Or, email email@example.com.
Complaints will be dealt with by the Data Protection Manager, and will be responded to within 30 days at the latest.
If you are not satisfied with the way your complaint was handled, you may be able to refer your complaint to your local data protection regulator. For example, in the United Kingdom this is the [Information Commissioner’s Office.
A UK First. Back To Big Thinking